5.11.2012

"Jenny isn't what I see when I look in the mirror. "

Jenny isn't what I see when I look in the mirror. But she is what I see when I look anywhere else. She walks down the hall in front of me, she smiles at me from magazine covers and movie boxes, she never lets me forget that she is there. I tell myself I don't care, that I don't want to be Jenny anyway. But I do. Everyone does, and she knows it, and she's never going away. Jenny's hair is long and thick and full of life and always looks effortlessly in place, no matter what. I don't have Jenny's hair. Jenny's legs are long and thin and don't have any scars at all. I don't have Jenny's legs. Jenny's brother is protective and popular and happy and they have a great relationship. I don't have Jenny's brother. Jenny's best friend from growing up is alive. I don't have Jenny's luck like that. Jenny never makes anyone mad, and everyone likes her even though they don't like every other girl that is better than them at something. I pretend I don't want Jenny's life and looks. I say that I will make do with mine, that we take what we get and we do the best we can with it. But if I could change my hair, if I could erase the three scars on each of my legs, if I could be closer with my brother, if I could stop my friend Danny from rolling his car, I would. If I could have her luck and her magnetism, I would. And because of that, Jenny always, always wins. I don't have Jenny's success.

No comments: